Friday, June 17, 2016

James Stewart

Back in the '80's, my grandfather came to see my graduation at Vanguard University when it was Southern California College. He looked back at the dorms behind us and said, "I was stationed here." What? It turns out our campus was once a training ground for the United States Air Force. My grandfather was a mechanic. And among the GIs was a corp-man named James Stewart. He was fast chums with gramps. You do want your bird to hold you up in the air. I asked for some salty tidbits on one of my favorite actors. The two stories that he told me that stood out to him were the way that he would stand in lines with the rest of the GIs to get his monthly government allotment. That amused the rest of the guys because they knew he could have bought the base and not batted an eye. The other funny thing he remembered is the way Stewart's feet hung off the end of his cot. He was tall. Doggone it if the tales just don't endear you to him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment