Saturday, June 18, 2016

Classic vs. Modern

In the 90's, I could show kids silent films and old black and white films and at least hold their attention for 30 minutes. Now, in the new millennium, anything without computer generated effects appears irrelevant to them.

So what's the argument to be made for classic film? Story and character. However, is that enough to hold a modern audience who prefers spectacle?

Many of today's actors and actresses may be very good, but the spectacle often gets in the way for me.

Okay, here's my beef. Classic films fill me full of purpose and morality. I think that post-modern films have lost their moral compass. They are so busy being tolerant and avoiding cataclysms of epic scale, they skirt simple moral choices. Lying, cheating, stealing, even murder become gray areas that change situationally.

Image result for old fogey these kids todayAlright, I'll spill it. Classic films believe in God. Modern films see God as irrelevant. That's why I so often feel modern films are outside my comfort zone.
Image result for old fogey i remember

No comments:

Post a Comment